Sweet Potato Pie
This is the classic recipe for sweet potato pie from Sidney Carlisle's article on cooking with sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, salt and nutmeg in mixer bowl.
- Add the half-and-half, sweet potato, eggs and butter, one at a time, beating on medium speed about 30 seconds after each ingredient is added.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until filling is firm on the sides and just barely shakes in the middle.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- The pie may be served warm or cold.
Note: The pie is best when prepared with a baked sweet potato. Wrap a medium size potato in foil. Bake at 400F degrees about 1 hour, or until very tender when pierced with a fork. Remove the potato from the oven and cool to room temperature. Scoop out the soft inside with a spoon and measure out 1 full cup for the recipe above. The potato may be cooked ahead. Remove the pulp and refrigerate for up to two days.
Prep time: 1 Hr 15 Min; Cooking time: 47 Min; Total time: 2 Hrs 2 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell