Sweet Potato Pancakes
These little pancakes are quite versatile. Not only are they an excellent accompaniment to pork chops or ham, they can easily be the centerpiece of a fine brunch when topped with sweetened sour cream (see Note below).
- Coarsely grate the sweet potatoes using a food processor or the large holes of a hand grater.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, grated sweet potatoes, eggs, flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
- Beat until well blended.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large, heavy skillet.
- Drop sweet potato mixture by tablespoonfuls onto hot surface, and fry 3 or 4 minutes, until golden brown on bottom.
- Turn and brown on other side, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan, drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Repeat process 2 more times with remaining canola oil and sweet potato mixture.
Note: For Sweetened Sour Cream, stir 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar into 1 cup sour cream, and mix well.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 5 Min; Total time: 20 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell