Sweet Potato Cheesecake
This recipe differs from most cheesecake recipes in that the batter is cooked, then mixed with additional ingredients and chilled. Since it spends no time in the oven, there's no worrying about doneness or water baths or those pesky cracks that sometimes form in cheesecakes. It also goes without saying that this cheesecake is delicious.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter.
- Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Soften the gelatin in the water in the top of a double boiler.
- Stir in the egg yolks, sugar, salt and milk.
- Place water in double boiler and bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cream cheese and sweet potatoes.
- Pour mixture into the container of an electric blender or food processor, and blend until very smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites, whipped cream and vanilla into the sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared springform pan, and chill until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Note: If you are concerned about raw egg whites, substitute powdered egg whites for fresh. They make beautiful meringue.
Total time: 2 Hrs