Elegant Strawberry Preserves
This recipe for strawberry preserves is from Eleanor Bradshaw's article on making jams and preserves.
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, and allow to stand for 3 to 4 hours.
- Over medium-low heat, bring mixture slowly to a boil, and stir until sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice, and increase heat to high.
- Boil rapidly until strawberries are transparent and syrup is thick (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and skim any foam from surface of mixture.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the strawberries from the syrup and place in a shallow container.
- Return the syrup to heat, bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over strawberries.
- Cover container loosely with a clean towel, and allow to stand in a cool place for at least 12 and not more than 24 hours.
- Skim any foam from surface.
- Do not stir mixture, but shake it occasionally so strawberries absorb the syrup and are distributed evenly.
- Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Adjust jar caps, and process for 20 minutes in boiling water.
Note: The key to luscious strawberry preserves is using the most perfect strawberries available. Use ripe, but not overripe, berries. Do not use overly large berries, or those with hollow cores and white, pithy centers.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 3 Hrs 45 Min; Total time: 4 Hrs
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell