Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
This may very well be the best strawberry ice cream you've ever eaten. It's incredibly rich and creamy and guaranteed not to disappoint.
- Wash, trim and semi-hull the strawberries; cut the larger ones in half.
- Transfer strawberries to a blender and puree.
- Put the purée in a container and refrigerate.
- Combine 2 cups of the sugar, flour and salt; set aside.
- Heat milk in top of a double boiler until hot, but not boiling.
- Add a small amount of the hot milk to the sugar mixture, stirring to make a smooth paste.
- Then stir sugar mixture back into the remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until slightly thickened.
- Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 10 minutes. (Make sure you have sufficient water in your double boiler.)
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Stir about one-fourth of the hot mixture into the eggs; mix well.
- Stir the egg mixture back into the hot mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool. (Place pan in a large bowl of ice cubes and water, stirring occasionally, to speed up cooling.)
- Mix together the strawberry purée, the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, whipping cream and extracts.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, then stir mixture into the cooled custard.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour mixture into the freezer can of a hand-turned or electric ice cream freezer.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Note: Ice cream freezer tip: You can freeze the ice cream faster if you use an electric ice crusher to crush the ice. The smaller ice packs better with the rock salt, making it very cold.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 3 Hrs 45 Min; Total time: 4 Hrs
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
- Article: Ice Cream Secrets - Texas Peach Ice Cream, Grandmother's Lemon Custard Ice Cream, Still-Freezing Ice Cream, Ice Cream Cake
- Article: Making Homemade Ice Cream
- Article: How to Use an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Freezer
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Peach Ice Cream
- Easy Peppermint Ice Cream
- Old-Fashioned Homemade Ice Cream
- Country-Style Vanilla Ice Cream
- Grandma's Cherry Pie