Strawberry Chiffon Pie
Chiffon pies are somewhat retro, having been popular during the fifties and sixties. As with clothing and hair-dos, styles change over time, but good taste never does. Light, airy, totally delicious Strawberry Chiffon Pie is not only beautiful, but fun to make. It will have your friends and family sighing with pleasure.
- In a medium bowl, roughly mash the strawberries with a potato masher.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to the berries, stir, and set aside for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the gelatin and cold water.
- Turn heat to low to dissolve.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice and salt in medium bowl.
- Add cooled gelatin mixture to strawberry mixture and stir.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture is partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the strawberry mixture. Then, fold in the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate until mixture is set enough to mound.
- Pile into a baked and cooled 9-inch pastry shell.
- Return pie to refrigerator and chill until filling is firm, about 5 hours.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, if desired.
Note: If you are concerned about raw egg whites, substitute powdered egg whites for fresh. They make beautiful meringue.
Total time: 4 Hrs