Strawberry Chiffon Pie
- In a medium bowl, roughly mash the strawberries with a potato masher.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to the berries, stir, and set aside for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the gelatin and cold water.
- Turn heat to low to dissolve.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice and salt in medium bowl.
- Add cooled gelatin mixture to strawberry mixture and stir.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture is partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the strawberry mixture. Then, fold in the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate until mixture is set enough to mound.
- Pile into a baked and cooled 9-inch pastry shell.
- Return pie to refrigerator and chill until filling is firm, about 5 hours.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, if desired.
Note: If you are concerned about raw egg whites, substitute powdered egg whites for fresh. They make beautiful meringue.
Total time: 4 Hrs