Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Delightful taste, fine texture and yummy streusel accent will make this your favorite coffee cake. Be sure to give the baking soda ample time to react with the sour cream creating tiny bubbles. This step helps form tender crumb and light texture. This cake works well in either a 9-cup Bundt pan or 9x13-inch pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-cup Bundt pan or 9x13-inch pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- Stir together the baking soda and sour cream in a small bowl. Let it sit until foam and/or small bubbles appear.
- Meanwhile, combine the sifted cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add one-third of the flour to the butter mixture, and then add half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add another one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining sour cream and then the remaining flour. Blend thoroughly but do not overbeat.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the streusel ingredients.
- Add half of the cake batter to the pan. Sprinkle a little more than half of the streusel mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Pour the remaining half of the cake batter in the pan, smoothing it out. Sprinkle the remaining the streusel mixture on the batter.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in center of cake.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving platter and continue cooling. Slice and serve.
Note: In order for this dense cake to rise properly, be sure to use cake flour, which has less volume than all-purpose flour.
Prep time: 20 Min; Cooking time: 45 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 5 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
- Butter Pecan Layer Cake & Frosting
- Favorite Chocolate Layer Cake & Frosting
- Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Louise's Italian Coconut Cake & Frosting
- Making Cakes with Chef Jennifer Farmer
- Red Velvet Cake: Red Velvet Cake and the Great Neiman Marcus Cookie Hoax
- Texas Sheet Cake: Hospitality in a Cake