Sopapillas (from scratch)
These are heavenly, and definitely worth the trouble.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in melted shortening and sugar.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the yeast mixture, and mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes).
- Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F.), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down and roll to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into 2-1/2-inch squares.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven.
- Heat oil to 375°F.
- Fry a few sopapillas at a time in the hot oil, lightly pressing down on them with the back of a fork, until the dough starts to puff.
- Release pressure, and continue frying until golden brown, turning once; drain.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve hot, with honey.
Note: See, also, Sopapillas (not quite from Scratch).
Prep time: 1 Hr 20 Min; Cooking time: 20 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 40 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell