Rompope (Mexican Eggnog)
Rompope is strong, sweet and meant to be sipped, so small glasses are in order. Refrigerated, it will keep indefinitely. We made this drink with Texas-crafted Treaty Oak Platinum Rum.
- Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick (and ground almonds, if you are using them) in a large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemony.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture, and gradually whisk the egg yolks into the milk mixture.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Add the rum or brandy to the mixture, stir well.
- Transfer to a container and and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for 1 or 2 days before serving.
Note: While not strictly traditional, we believe ground almonds (which you can make with a clean coffee grinder) lend a delicate flavor and better texture to the Rompope.
Total time: 45 Min