Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
Called pepitas in Spanish, save those pumpkin seeds when you carve the jack-o-lantern. Properly prepared, they are a tasty treat.
- Preheat oven to 300F°.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Pick over the raw seeds, removing most of the pulp by hand.
- Do not rinse or you'll be rinsing away much of the flavor.
- In a medium bowl, combine the seeds with the melted butter and salt, and whatever other spices you choose.
- Toss to coat well.
- Spread seeds in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring seeds occasionally, until golden brown.
Note: You will love these even if you just roast them with butter and salt. But if you like to experiment -- and what cook doesn't -- add more of your favorite spices to taste. However, don't get carried away with the spices or you'll overwhelm the nutty flavor of the pumpkin seeds. And, yes, these can be eaten with or without the shells.
Total time: 50-55 Min