Red Cabbage (Rotkohl)
This is one of our recipes that celebrates the heritage of German settlers in the Central Texas Hill Country.
- Wash cabbage, core and shred.
- In a very large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- Add onions and sauté until just starting to brown.
- Add the cabbage, apples, cloves and vinegar.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir.
- Add water and salt.
- Simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add sugar, stir well, and serve.
Prep time: 30 Min; Cooking time: 1 Hr 25 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 55 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell