Red Beans and Rice
A classic dish, sure to become a favorite at your house. This recipe was a blue-ribbon winner at the State Fair of Texas.
- Rinse and pick over beans.
- Put beans and water in a Dutch oven or large pot, bring to boil and boil for 45 minutes.
- In another pan, sauté bacon, carrots and onion until onion is softened, but not browned.
- Mix drained beans and bacon mixture, and add the chicken stock.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
- Stir in spices, lower heat and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are soft.
- Add rice and, if necessary, more chicken stock.
- Simmer for 1 additional hour.
- Salt to taste.
Total time: 4 Hrs