Butter Pie Pastry
Some prefer the taste of butter in their pie pastry, as opposed to Crisco or shortening, which is used in a standard pie pastry.
- Put the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add the butter pieces to flour mixture, and process about 10 seconds until mixture is consistency of coarse meal.
- With the food processor running, slowly add ice water in a thin stream just until the dough holds together. Do not process the dough for more than half a minute.
- (To hand-mix the dough, mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter pieces, and cut in with a pastry blender until mixture is consistency of coarse meal. Then mix dough, sprinkling ice water until dough holds together.)
- Turn dough out and wrap securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out. Makes enough pastry for a 9-inch, double-crust pie. May be frozen for 3 months.
Prep time: 8 Min; Cooking time: 12 Min; Total time: 20 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell