Toasted pecan squares sweetened with brown sugar and baked to a turn. Oh my! They are good.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- To make the base, cream the butter and brown sugar well. Stir together the sifted flour and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture along with the finely chopped pecans, mixing well. Pat dough firmly and evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 7 minutes and remove from oven.
- While the base is baking, make the topping. Beat the eggs until foamy, then add the corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, flour and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly, then pour over partially baked base. Sprinkle the coarsely chopped pecans evenly over top.
- Return completed dish to oven, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pecans are light golden. Do not overbake. Cut into squares or bars while slightly warm. Let cool in baking dish. When cool, remove with spatula and store in single layers between sheets of waxed paper in tightly covered container.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 30 Min; Total time: 45 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
Sweet Old-Fashioned Texas Cookie Recipes
by John Raven, Ph.B.
- Christmas in a Warm Kitchen
Making Christmas cookies
- Black Forest Oatmeal Cookies
- Butter Pecan Bars
- Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Drops
- Fudge Pecan Layer Bars
- Grandma's Sugar Cookies
- Old-Fashioned Molasses Cookies
- Peanut Blossoms
- White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies