Selma's Best Oatmeal Cookies
These are oatmeal cookies for everyone, even those who say they don't like 'em. From Sidney Carlisle's article Oatmeal Cookies: Nutritious Comfort Food.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the shortening and both sugars together. Add the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, soda and cinnamon. Use a spoon to stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oatmeal and pecans. Chill the dough for an hour in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Roll the dough into walnut-sized pieces and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Butter the bottom of a small glass, dip it in white sugar and flatten the cookie pieces slightly. No need to re-butter the glass, just keep dipping it in the sugar each time.
- Bake the cookies 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on the baking sheet and remove to a wire rack to cool completely. These cookies freeze well.
- Yields about 4 dozen cookies.
Total time: 53 Min