Mexican Orange Fudge
- Caramelize 1 cup of the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Do not stir, but watch closely and tilt pan so that sugar melts evenly, turns golden brown and does not scorch.
- Slowly and carefully pour the boiling water into the caramelized sugar, and stir to mix. Add the remaining sugar, creamer and salt. Cook over medium heat, and stir until all ingredients are mixed and mixture comes to a boil. Without stirring, cook until mixture reaches 238°F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (pan bottom is barely warm to the touch).
- Beat until candy loses its gloss and holds its shape. Fold in grated orange peel and nuts. Spread in a buttered 8-inch square dish, and cut into squares.
- Makes about 4 dozen pieces.
Note: A word to the wise: a really heavy saucepan makes all the difference in the world when you are making candy.
Total time: 2 Hrs 30 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell