Pickled Green Tomatoes
- Arrange the tomatoes in layers in a large bowl or pickle crock, sprinkling salt between the layers. Let stand overnight.
- The next day, drain tomatoes, sprinkle with alum, and pour the boiling water over them. Let stand for 20 minutes. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- In an enamel or stainless steel kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar and spices (tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag -- spice bag should be kept in the syrup right up to the very end). Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and boil rapidly for 3 minutes. Pour the syrup over the tomatoes and let stand overnight.
- Next day, drain off the syrup and bring it to a boil. Pour over the tomatoes and let stand again overnight.
- On the fourth day, put the syrup and tomatoes into the kettle, bring to a boil and simmer until the tomatoes are transparent. Pack the tomatoes into hot jars. Boil the syrup until it becomes quite thick or spins a long thread. Remove the spice bag and pour the syrup over the fruit, filling the jars, and seal.
- Makes 8 quarts.
Total time: 3 Hrs