Mary Ann's Skillet Chicken
- Wash the chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and sauté the onion and pepper slowly until onion is clear.
- In a small bowl, mix the cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, lemon pepper, sesame seeds and flour. Place half of the spice mixture in a large plastic or paper bag. Put the chicken, two or three breast halves at a time, in the bag and shake to coat with seasonings. Use the remaining spice mix with remaining chicken breasts. See Note below.
- Place chicken breasts in an uncovered skillet with sautéed onion and peppers, and slowly brown it. When brown on the bottom, turn chicken over and cover skillet. Cook very slowly, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes. The chicken will make its own juice. Turn approximately every 10 minutes to allow for even browning and to check doneness.
- When done, serve with the cooked onion and pepper alone or over cooked rice.
Note: Depending upon the size of the chicken breasts you are using, it may be necessary to make up more seasoning mixture. But remember, this is not your standard fried chicken. You are not looking for a thick crust.
Total time: 1 Hrs