Louise's Italian Coconut Cake (and Frosting)
This cake is so delicious people will be asking you for the recipe. I know. That's how I got the recipe; I asked Louise.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside. Cream butter, Crisco and sugar until fluffy, letting electric mixer run for 4 or 5 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together. Add to the egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Add the coconut and nuts. Beat well. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack so layers are right side up. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (plus more as needed)
- 1 cup shredded coconut, packed (divided)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk, as needed
Cream together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar (takes about 5 minutes).
To achieve the spreading consistency you desire, you may need to add 2 to 3 tablespoons milk and 1 to 1-1/2 cups additional confectioners' sugar.
Stir in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup pecans. Frost and fill the cake, and sprinkle the top with the reserved coconut and pecans.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 25 Min; Total time: 40 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell