Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Butercream Frosting
This layer cake is lemon-bright in flavor and feather-light in texture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Cream the shortening, then add the sugar, beating well. Reduce speed to medium and add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick or cake tester.
- Cool layers in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool completely before frosting.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-pound box (3-3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 5 to 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, beating well, and gradually beat in the sugar with the lemon juice until desired spreading consistency is reached.
Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake layers.
Total time: 1 Hr