Lemon Chiffon Pie
This recipe appeared in a larger article featuring lemon pie recipes.
- Stir together the gelatin and cold water, and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemony. Combine egg yolks with 1 cup of the sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add gelatin/water mixture. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Set aside, and allow to cool.
- Have egg whites at room temperature. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, a tablespoonful at a time, beating until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold egg whites and whipped cream into cooled lemon mixture.
- Pile into cooled 9-inch crust. Chill until set.
- Makes one pie.
Note: If you are concerned about using uncooked egg whites, you can make perfect chiffon pies with powdered egg whites.
Total time: 35 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell