This recipe is a real keeper. You'll find it and more great recipes in Sidney Carlisle's article on Waffles and Grits for Brunch.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch or 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Bring milk, water and 1/2 cup of the butter just to a boil. Whisk in the grits and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook uncovered until thick, whisking frequently, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the salt and pepper. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the Swiss cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour the grits in the baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Cooking time will vary slightly, depending on the size of the baking dish.
- Yields about 8 servings.
Note: For best results, use Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese that you've grated yourself. Don't reach for that green foil can at the supermarket. Use quality ingredients. It does make a difference.
Total time: 1 Hour
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell