This gravy is particularly good with roast beef. This recipe is from Patricia Mitchell's article on making gravy.
- Combine the eight seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onions, celery and garlic in large skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the seasoning mix and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil rapidly until liquid reduces to about 1 quart (4 cups), about 25 minutes. Then crumble the gingersnaps into the stock mixture and whisk until dissolved.
- Continue cooking 10 minutes, whisking frequently and making sure gingersnaps are dissolved.
- During this time, taste the gravy; if the ginger flavor is not pronounced enough, add up to 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon ginger, or both, to taste. Strain the gravy.
- Makes 2-1/2 to 3 cups.
Total time: 1 Hour