German Chocolate Cheesecake
You love the cake. You'll love the cheesecake, too.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the chocolate wafer crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Press firmly into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and flour until well blended. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla, mixing well.
- At low speed, add the 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, just until blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour mixture over baked crust, and bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes, until center is barely set.
- Allow cake to cool, then run a thin knife blade around rim of pan to loosen, and spring the pan. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Combine the milk, sugar, butter, egg in small saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 160°F on an instant-read thermometer. Mixture will thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and chopped pecans. Allow mixture to cool. Then spread mixture evenly over top of cheescake. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Refrigerate leftovers.
Note: Place chopped pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you begin to smell them. Allow them to cool.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 1 Hour; Total time: 2 Hours
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell