- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a shallow, round 2-quart baking dish or a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan, preferably ovenproof glass or earthenware. Place the fruit, lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon in the baking dish and toss well.
- To make the topping, sift together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt, and then cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of coarse meal. Add milk and beat with a fork until milk is just blended in, forming a stiff, sticky dough. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the fruit, leaving a few spaces between the dough drops for the fruit to bubble up.
- Brush the surface of the dough with the beaten egg mixture and bake until the fruit is bubbly and top is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Suggested Fruits and Combinations
- 6 cups sliced Italian purple plums, peaches, or nectarines
- 2 pints blueberries and 2 cups sliced firm, ripe bananas
- 4 cups sliced peaches and 1 pint raspberries or blackberries
- 3 cups sliced strawberries and 3 cups sliced apples
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 30 Min; Total time: 45 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell