Fresh Peach Pie
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To prepare filling, mix white sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour in a large bowl. Add peaches, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg or mace and toss well. Set aside.
- To prepare the dough, mix 2 cups flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Measure shortening and drop on top of flour mixture. Cut flour into shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture becomes small bits of shortening coated with flour. Size will not be uniform. Add water all at once by sprinkling on top of mixture. Stir with fork to incorporate water into mixture.
- Generously flour work surface and hands. Scoop dough out of bowl, plop it onto work surface and pat into a rough ball. Divide into 2 equal portions. Roll out 1 portion into circle about 12 inches in diameter, lifting dough and sprinkling additional flour onto work surface as needed so that dough doesn't stick.
- To transfer to 9- or 10-inch pie pan, roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll, starting at far side of pie pan, so that dough drops into pan. Avoid stretching dough. Let about 1-1/2 inches of dough hang over outer edge of pan. Pile fruit onto dough. Scatter bits of butter over fruit.
- Roll out remaining half of dough for top crust and drape over pie. Trim away excess dough around edges, but leave enough to tuck under top of pie pan edge. Crimp edges and cut several vents in top.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F, and bake until juices bubble around edges on top of pie and crust is lightly browned, about 40 minutes more.
Note: Good peaches contain lots of juice, so a deep-dish or 10-inch pie pan is good for this recipe. If you don't have either, just make sure the pastry edges are crimped high and make several good-sized vents in the top crust.
Prep time: 40 Min; Cooking time: 50 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 30 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell