- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat and stir just until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from inside saucepan.
- Uncover and cook, without stirring, until mixture boils and reaches hard ball stage (260°F on candy thermometer).
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. With electric mixer running at high speed, pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over the egg whites. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture begins to hold its shape (about 3 or 4 minutes). Stir in pecans. Candy may be tinted with few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow to cool.
- Makes about 5 dozen pieces.
Total time: 6 Hrs