Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is comfort food of the first order.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and celery and cook until onion is transparent and softened, but not brown. Sprinkle in the flour, salt and pepper and stir for a few minutes until smooth and flour has "cooked" a bit.
- Add the chicken broth and half-and-half, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer for about 3 minutes until sauce is bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the chicken, carrots, peas and mushrooms. Cover and keep warm. (The sauce can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and reheated before adding the chicken and vegetables.)
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Add top pastry to top of pie, trimming off excess. Fold edges under to seal, and flute rim. Make several slits in the top to vent. Brush top with a tablespoon or so of milk, if desired, to ensure a nice golden crust.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve hot.
- Makes about 5 to 6 servings.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 45 Min; Total time: 1 Hour
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell