If you have ever been to the State Fair of Texas, you've probably experienced the legendary Fletcher's Corny Dog. In fact, you've probably experienced quite a few. Putting aside the debate over who invented the corny dog, with this recipe, you can create your own legend. From the article Corn on the Fourth of July, featuring five fresh corn recipes.
- Boil the franks for a few minutes. Remove from water and drain.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the egg, oil and milk. Add to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Insert the skewers to within 1/2 inch of the top of each frank. Coat each frank evenly with cornmeal mixture.
- Deep fry, a few at a time, in hot shortening or oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with lots of yellow mustard.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell