Coconut Cream Pie
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and lemon colored. Stir about one-fourth of the custard mixture into the yolks. Blend well. Then stir the blended mixture back into the hot custard. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. When mixture thickens to custard consistency, remove from heat. Stir in the butter, 3/4 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla until butter has melted.
- Pour mixture into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer just until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and vanilla, and gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form and sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Spread meringue over the pie filling, sealing to edge of pastry. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
Note: To minimize "weeping," spread the meringue on the pie filling while the filling is hot. Also, meringue pies cut better with a wet knife blade.