Coca Cola Cake & Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Into a large electric mixer bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa. At low speed, add the shortening, buttermilk and Coca-Cola, and mix for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and egg yolks, and continue to beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool and frost with Coca-Cola Frosting or frosting of your choice.
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light Karo© syrup
- 1/3 cup Coca-Cola©
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Cook over rapidly boiling water, beating continuously with a portable electric mixer, until mixture stands in peaks.
- Remove from heat, and continue beating until thick enough for spreading.
Note: Do not use Diet Coke for this recipe, please. If you're trying to cut calories, this isn't the place to do it.
Total time: 1 Hr