Chocolate Potato Layer Cake
What happens when you make a chocolate cake with mashed potatoes? If you use this recipe, a moist, delicious, very chocolatey cake with a touch of mocha happens. You'll be pleased.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and instant coffee in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and mashed potatoes.
- Reduce speed to low, and add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, just until blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Total time: 1 Hour