Chocolate Eggnog Pie
From Patricia Mitchell's article on baked holiday desserts.
- Soften gelatin in cold water, and set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in eggnog, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cook an additional 2 minutes, and remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture, and stir until dissolved.
- Divide the filling in half, and set one half aside to cool. Stir in rum extract.
- To the other half, add the melted chocolate and vanilla and stir well. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate until filling is set.
- Once the remaining filling has completely cooled, beat 1 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form and fold it into the filling. Spread filling evenly in a second layer over the chilled filling in the pie shell.
- Beat remaining 1 cup of whipping cream until foamy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Dust top of pie with sifted cocoa powder or chocolate curls, if desired.
Prep time: 30 Min; Cooking time: 30 Min; Total time: 1 Hour
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell