Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Rich and moist, this old favorite can be slimmed down by using reduced calorie mayonnaise, although the final result won't be quite as moist.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the cocoa, and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the mayonnaise and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and cocoa mixture, beating until incorporated.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until batter is combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Note: When putting together your ingredients for this cake, make sure you're using mayonnaise and not salad dressing like Miracle Whip. I know, I know, but growing up, my whole family referred to Miracle Whip as mayonnaise, and surely we weren't the only unenlightened folks in the world.
Cake Photo Credit: A Texas Cooking reader prepared this cake for his niece's birthday party, which we present photographed on this page. Instead of making the two-layer cake, he poured the batter into the special single layer pan with the Minnie Mouse shape.
Prep time: 30 Min; Cooking time: 30 Min; Total time: 1 Hr
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell