You can tell everybody you baked these beans from scratch, and they'll never know the difference. Keep warm with layers of aluminum foil and these beans are prime contenders for pot luck events, cookouts and picnics.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain the liquid from the beans. Remove and discard that token scrap of pork fat (if that's what it really is) they put in each can. Put the beans in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Fry the bacon, remove it from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until it is transparent. Remove onion with a slotted spoon and add to beans.
- In a small bowl, blend the brown sugar, molasses, catsup and dried mustard.
- Break or tear the bacon into 1-inch pieces and add to beans. Add the brown sugar mixture, and stir gently until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.
This recipe is easily doubled for a big cook-out crowd. Are you a bean connoisseur? If so, you'll also want to read John Raven's article on how to cook beans.
Total time: 50 Min