Coffee Devil's Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, then beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar together letting electric mixer run for about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and soda together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and liqueur; blend well. Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350°F 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, invert on a wire rack and remove pans. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Note: Coffee-Chocolate Frosting is especially good with this cake.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell