Flavored with espresso, these bars totally capture the essence of your favorite latte. A toffee topping over a soft, toothsome center over a toffee/coffee crust! Perfect with a glass of cold milk or (why not?) a great cup of coffee.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch pan or use baking spray containing flour.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules in the 2 teaspoons of hot water. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed the dissolved espresso, softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Lower speed and add flour to mixture, a spoonful at a time, until combined. Mixture will be stiff. Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the toffee bits evenly over the crust, pressing lightly into the dough. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until edges begin to lightly brown.
- Make the filling while the crust is baking. Dissolve 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules in 1 tablespoon of hot water. Beat together the dissolved espresso, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and well blended. At low speed of the mixer, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour filling over hot crust and spread evenly. Bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the toffee bits.
- Cool completely before cutting. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
- Makes 32 bars.
Total time: 1 Hr 30 Min