Buttermilk Yellow Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 9-inch cake pans, a 10-inch tube pan, muffin tins or an 11x17-inch sheet cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mace. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.
- For cake pans: Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to finish cooling.
- Makes 12 servings.
Buttermilk Yellow Cake Notes
In the above photo for this cake, we also used Pineapple Filling, a delicious addition to this cake, and the always dependable, always delicious Cream Cheese Frosting. The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
For Tube Pan: Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check at 1 hour with wooden pick or cake tester. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack to finish cooling.
For Cupcakes: Makes approximately 4 dozen. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes in greased muffin tins or paper liners in muffin tins, filling half full. Makes 12 cupcakes.
For Sheet Cake: Pour into greased and floured 17x11-1/2x2-1/4-inch pan. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes; Total time: 50 minutes
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell