Butter Pecan Crunchies
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Stir in the chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Sift together the sifted flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup butter. Gradually add remaining 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, creaming well. Blend in the egg, vanilla and rum flavoring.
- At low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing thoroughly. Turn off the mixer and stir in the pecan mixture just until evenly distributed.
- Shape into balls using a rounded teaspoon for each. Place on greased baking sheet, flattening slightly. Bake at 375°F for 10 to 12 minutes until light golden brown. Cool and frost, if desired.
- Store in tightly covered container.
- Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Note: Place chopped pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you begin to smell them. Allow them to cool.
Prep time: 25-30 minutes; Cooking time: 60 minutes; Total time: 85 minutes
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell