Butter Pecan Layer Cake and Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 9x13-inch baking pan. Stir in the pecans and spread in an even layer in the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Cream the softened butter in large bowl of an electric mixer. Gradually add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla and 1 cup of the toasted pecans. Reserve remaining pecans for frosting.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans, and bake for 30 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick or cake tester. Cool layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely.
Butter Pecan Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- reserved toasted pecans
Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in the reserved toasted pecans.
Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake layers.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell