- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly butter an 8-inch square Pyrex baking dish. Have your pastry dough ready.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large, heavy saucepan or dutch oven. Gently stir in the blackberries and orange juice. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until it is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- Roll out half the pastry dough as for a pie, but cut it into an 8-inch square. Stir the blackberry mixture to evenly distribute the fruit, and spoon HALF the mixture into the buttered baking dish.
- Cover with the pastry square. Bake for 10 minutes, or until very lightly brown. Remove from oven and spoon the remaining blackberry mixture over the baked pastry.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, and cut into strips about an inch wide. Arrange strips in a loose lattice weave over the blackberry mixture (see Note below). Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar, if desired.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Makes 8 servings.
Note: A lattice crust is not mandatory. If you opt for a plain crust, be sure to cut out three or more dime-sized holes to vent. Unless you have a favorite pastry recipe of your own, our Standard Pie Pastry is great for cobblers.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell