Yes, Texans love Italian food. And we don't pronounce it EYE-talian, either. At least, most of us don't.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim excess fat from steak, and pound steak to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut steak into serving pieces.
- Mix together the Parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs and place on a plate or flat surface. Put beaten egg on a rimmed plate. Dip steak pieces in the beaten egg, then dredge in the cheese/crumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until the oil ripples. Fry steak in hot oil until browned, turning each piece once. Drain on paper towels.
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the tomato paste, salt, sugar, marjoram and pepper, and stir. Gradually add the hot water, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes.
- Place steak pieces in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with two-thirds of the tomato sauce. Arrange cheese slices in a single layer to cover meat. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the cheese. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Total time: 1 Hr 45 Min