Beef Braised in Guinness
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim excess fat from steak, and slash edges to prevent curling. In a skillet over medium-high heat, quickly brown the steak pieces in 2 tablespoons of the oil. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium. Add the sliced mushrooms and chopped onion to the skillet along with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and butter, and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Spread the sautéed vegetables evenly in a baking dish large enough to accommodate the steak in a single layer. Place steak pieces over the vegetables. Slowly pour the Guinness into the pan until steak pieces are just barely covered. Sprinkle in the thyme and orange peel, if using, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Braise in the preheated oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until steaks are tender.
- Makes 4 generous servings.
NOTE: I purchased a large bottle of Guinness (1 pint 6 ounces) and used almost all of it. The size of your baking dish will have a lot to do with how much you need. Also, don't try to enhance the recipe by using sirloin or eye of round. Ordinary round steak will give the best result.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 1 Hr; Total time: 1 Hr 15 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell