Barbecued Chuck Roast
- Mix all marinade ingredients except the catsup. Pour over the roast (the one-gallon plastic zip-lock freezer bags are perfect for this) and marinate for at least 24 hours.
- When your grill is ready, remove the roast from the marinade (reserve the marinade!) and put it on the grill, 4 to 5 inches from medium coals. Put the cover on the grill.
- Mix the catsup into the marinade, and baste 4 or 5 times during grilling.
- It will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes for the roast to reach 160 degrees (medium). An instant-read meat thermometer is a handy thing to have for this.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Prep time: 24 hours 15 minutes; Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes; Total time: 25 hours 30 minutes
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
- Be sure to browse our extensive resources on beef. Our Traditional Texas Food section contains lots of information on grilling, marinades, barbecue and more from John Raven, Ph.B.