Banana Nut Waffles with Banana Butter
If you have a Belgian waffle-maker, these waffles are a spectacular treat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, nutmeg and ginger, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the water, milk and butter to about 125°F degrees (very warm to the touch, but not scalding), stirring often. Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the eggs, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or let stand at room temperature for at least one hour, until batter is light and bubbly.
- When ready to cook, preheat the waffle maker.
- Add the brown sugar, bananas and chopped pecans to the batter, and mix well.
- Bake in preheated waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Makes 4 to 5 large waffles.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 3 tablespoons mashed banana
- In a small bowl, mash together the softened butter with the banana.
- Toasted Pecans: Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast in a 350°F oven until you begin to smell them, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Prep time: 1 Hr 20 Min; Cooking time: 10 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 30 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell