Banana Oatmeal Cake
This moist and delicious cake has a crunchy caramel-pecan topping.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Combine the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
- At medium speed of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- At low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk and mashed bananas, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until ingredients are blended; do not overbeat. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, milk, coconut and pecans, and stir well. (Or, melt the butter in the microwave and combine with the remaining ingredients.)
- Spread the topping evenly over the cake.
- Place cake in a preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat. Broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- (Keep a close eye on the topping while it's in the broiler so it doesn't scorch.)
This recipe is from Patricia Mitchell's larger article about banana desserts
Prep time: 20 Min; Cooking time: 47 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 7 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell