Almond Shortbread Bars
I love the flavor of almonds in cookies!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup of the butter and confectioners sugar. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.
- With floured hands, pat dough evenly into an ungreased 9-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the brown sugar, water and lemon juice; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in almonds and almond extract.
- Spread almond mixture evenly over shortbread base. Return to oven, and bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Cut into bars while still warm but not hot.
- Makes about two dozen bars.
Total time: 45 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell