Lemon Blueberry Pancakes from Mac and Ernie's Roadside Eatery
These pancakes are the reigning king of the Sunday brunch menu at Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery in Tarpley, Texas, a hidden gem about sixteen minutes west of Bandera in the Texas Hill Country. The pancakes are served with bacon or breakfast sausage and fruit. This recipe was published in Breakfast in Texas: Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics, and Local Favorites
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Toss in the citrus zest, blending well.
- Whisk in the milk with the eggs and butter to incorporate.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, then stir until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before using. (The pancakes will be much fluffier)
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees. Spray with non-stick spray. Ladle about ½ to ¾ cup of batter onto griddle for each pancake. Then add blueberries to each - about 8 per pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form around the edges of the pancakes, then flip and cook about another 3 minutes. Each pancake takes approximately 7 minutes from the start of cooking to finish. Keep pancakes warm in low oven until all are cooked.
- Serve hot, slathered with butter and maple syrup.
Total time: 30 Min