Buttermilk Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt or 10-inch tube pan, tapping it to release the excess flour. Set aside. Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium-size mixing bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening together in a large mixing bowl until very light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat well after each addition. Stir in extracts by hand. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (about 1 hour and 15 minutes).
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto the rack and cool completely. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Makes one 10-inch cake.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the cocoa and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat.
Whisk in confectioners' sugar gradually. Add vanilla and beat with whisk until smooth. Add more water 1/2 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Drizzle over and down the sides of the cake.
To finish, consider pouring some strawberry glaze on a slice.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Prep time: 20 Min; Cooking time: 1 Hr 15 Min; Total time: 1 Hr 35 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell