- OMAHA STEAKS: Buy Steaks, Gourmet Food Gifts, Wine & Lobster
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
We're officially breaking out the recipes for Fall, and I love potato salad. Being a Texan, I was raised on the traditional Southern cold potato salad, but that doesn't mean we should ignore other types. The German-style potato salad served warm is fantastic this time of year.
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
The Germans make their potato salad using vinegar and bacon bits. It's also served warm. Enjoy this with brats and a cold Texas beer. Bring this to a tailgate party!
- 8 medium baking potatoes (russets), peeled
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 10 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Smoked Salt & Pepper: Chicken Noodle Soup recipe for Fall, Two Places at Once: Maple Pumpkin Scones recipe, Kit Concoctions: Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Pork Chili, Addicted 2 Recipes: Chocolate Peanut Butter Hazelnut Bark, Smoking Ho visits Houston BBQ Throwdown and Smoked Dallas.
- October 1 - Pudding Season Begins! A great time to make the Best Banana Pudding!
- Addie Broyles: Honoring my grandma's legacy of peach pies, goulash and community service
- TMBBQ: After The Fire: A Look Inside Franklin Barbecue (PHOTOS)
- State Fair of Texas kicks off today! Friday, September 28, 2017
- Terlingua International Chili Championships , Nov. 1 - 4 the CASI International Chili Championship is Saturday, November 4th, 22nd Annual Texas Book Festival, Nov. 4 - 5 always great for fun and discovery! Enrich yourself with a Fall Garden Tour in Texas! Garden Conservancy's tour if Fort Worth (Sunday, Oct. 8) and San Antonio (Saturday, October 14). [Tickets and info on Garden Conservancy website]
- Business Insider: Walmart wants to walk into your home and put groceries in your refrigerator
- Bon Appetit: How To Read a Chocolate Bar Label
- Saturday, September 30 is National Public Lands Day - Padre Island National Seashore Fee Waived
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- 10 Historical Facts You Probably Don't Know About Galveston.
- October is National National Chili Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- NYT Food: Puerto Rico's Agriculture and Farmers Decimated by Maria
- Fort Worth Weekly visits Hopdoddy Burger Bar. More Fort Worth! Doña Carmen: Death by Pupusa.
- A Great List for anyone in Texas! 18 Texas Museums Every San Antonian Should Visit at Least Once
- Caller-Times: The Colorful Story of San Diego, Texas
- Waco Today: Heartbreak, Texas: How to Tell a Scary Story
- Urban IPM Free Webinar: All Bugs Good & Bad -- It happens the first Friday of each month at 1PM Central time The next webinar is about invisible ants! (past webinars are available online)
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: Chuck Wagon Cooking on the Chisholm Trail.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter